The MegaMek suite of programs allow you to play out tactical turn-based battles and military campaigns in the BattleTech Universe, with tanks, infantry, battle armor, aerospace fighters, WarShips, and most importantly, the mighty BattleMech – king of the battlefield. The programs provide a modern, computerized version of the BattleTech tabletop game, as well as a variety of features for running campaigns and customizing units. The three programs that make up the MegaMek suite are:
- MegaMek: Play out BattleTech games online against human opponents, or against the built-in AI. MegaMek is packed full of customizable options that allow you to play the game your way.
- MekHQ: Generate your own personal force (e.g. mercenary unit, line regiment, pirates, etc.) with a full TO&E, experience and skill upgrades for personnel, a repair system, and much more, all within the canon factions and worlds of the BattleTech Universe.
- MegaMekLab: Customize and build your own units, including ‘Mechs, tanks, and WarShips, using the official rules. You can then use these units in MegaMek and MekHQ, or print out record sheets for use in tabletop play.
- Network or hotseat play for two or more players or a somewhat cunning AI opponent for solo play
- Choice of ground, atmosphere, or space combat, and integration of ground and atmospheric combat
- Dozens of official and unofficial options for deep customization
- Map board editing and hundreds of custom map designs
- Over 6000 official units and hundreds of unofficial unit designs
- Campaign creation and management for out of combat actions, including repairs, force organization, and personnel management
- Integrated interstellar map with up-to-date data for multiple time periods
- Custom creation for most unit types
The MegaMek organization maintains a series of programs that try to implement the published rules for the tabletop BattleTech game published by Catalyst Game Labs as faithfully as is practical. These programs are designed with the idea of being accessible, both in portability across various operating systems and across various hardware configurations.
All programs are open source and distributed under the GPL.
The programs will run on Windows, Mac OSX, and Unix-based systems. The programs are relatively lightweight and will run on most systems without advanced graphical support.
All programs are Java-based and require installation of a Java Virtual Machine.
The programs do not run on iOS or other devices.